Monday 9 July 2012

Col d 'Aubisque my greatest cycle ride



Seeing these wild ponies basking in the sunshine near the top of the Col du Soulor I did feel like joining them! Cycling up from Argeles Gazost through breathtaking scenery, passing through picture postcard villages and round  hairpin bends of flower meadows with every colour imaginable. This was our fifth and final cycle ride 'Hautacam' had been conquered the day before a fairly short 17 kms up! All the passes have been so very different but all beautiful. 
The last bend of the Col du Soulor and these two characters had me smiling.

On reaching the top of Col du  Soulor I did wonder if I had the energy or inclination to do the Aubisque? But boy when you see this pass cut out of the sheer side of the mountain your breath is taken away and I didn't care if I had to push! I wanted to experience and see the dramatic scenery that was to unfold. If you look at the photo below just above my helmet is the ridge of the pass and it follows a line right across. 



If you look closely you can see Nigel waving on his bike, I didn't wave I can tell you it was hands on the brakes and not looking too closely over the death edge!! I now it sounds dramatic but gosh what an amazing experience. 
So here is my list of Five Tour de France passes in order of merit and enjoyment!

1. Col d' Aubisque --For sheer drama and jaw dropping beauty
2. Col de Peysesouade --For Poppies and wild flowers along the way and a gentle climb.
3. Col de Tourmalet --For tears and giving me back determination, it was brutal!!
4. Col de Gavarnie--- For history and a stunning Cirque
5. Hautacam-- For a cooler day and easier ride 



I hope you've enjoyed my little trip to the Pyrenees it's back to the paint brush but with some stunning memories and inspiration.




Here is a link to the book which holds our new adventures. 
 Anyone that enjoys cycling, dramatic scenery stunning photo's and history about fifty famous passes 
for just under £10 I think it's a absolute bargain. 

No comments: