Monday 16 July 2012

Ullswater pastel first stages

Ullswater rays 
Stage One
Watercolour washes on Fisher 400 paper. With no pre sketching I quickly laid down washes of Permanent Yellow and Permanent Rose with darker hues of Ultramarine Violet and Burnt Sienna. I then left this to dry flat to see what surprises might appear.


Stage Two
With the paper bone dry, I laid on different shades of Ochres, Peach and Dark Mauve pastels.
Trying to figure out where I was going, direction of light, mood and some sort of composition. Not using Pastels for nearly three months I was feeling a touch rusty. Using mainly Unison soft pastels they really do blend  and are very tactile to use. I find having an under painting much easier and more enjoyable.
So tomorrow I'll report back to show you how it's coming along.


2 comments:

Elvi said...

Che atmosfera fantastica. Bellissimi. Elvi

Lakeland art said...

Molte Grazie per i vostri commenti Elvi