Wednesday 5 August 2015

Summer meadow Pastel


Summer Meadows
in Pastels
Size 7 x 9 inches
Fisher 400
 
I love working in Pastels, but yesterday I had a real battle in this pretty flower meadow.
Below is the first painting, I was unhappy with this scene, I know certain things didn't work.
But I didn't want to give up and surrender defeat to the pastels.
So I looked hard and realised the composition and tree could be corrected, I also wanted to paint different hues in the meadow, and not too many bright Greens.
 
So with a stiff brush I removed plenty of pastel, changed the shape of the tree, added more light in the back field to try and give more distance to the scene.
The flowers became smaller instead and I thought much more about mark making, softness and colour harmony.
 
I am much happier with the top finished painting and it's much more challenging to go back to the drawing board and learn the basic skills.
 
 




Trying out different compositions, trying hard but not getting there!





No comments: